I'm on a bit of a shirt roll over here. And I am extremely happy to have finally made a top using the flamingo fabric I bought way back here.
Its a really light floaty synthetic fabric and I have tried out a few patterns in an attempt to find a style I liked before I cut into the flamingo's. I made up a muslin of a new pattern and was really pleased with how simple the top was to sew and how nice it looked.
The pattern is one of those popular (right now) batwing styles... kinda just a rectangle shape with shoulders and side seams. You know the sort? (I actually didnt realise it was that simple, and if I had I would have winged it without the pattern... oh well).
I made the process even simpler by doing a rolled hem on all sides of the each piece (including the neck hole). The pattern called for tiny hems or bias binding, but I thought I could get away with rolled hems instead.
The wing sleeves have a pretty lettuce leaf thing happening due to the rolled hems.
The shoulder seam is only partially sewn, so you get some split seam arm action when the top is on.
The pattern is Vogue 7457, which I assumed was a vintage pattern from the look (and condition) of the pattern cover. But turns out it was published in 2001!
This project stash busted 3 yards of fabric (1.5 yards of fabric for the muslin and 1.5 yards of flamingo yumminess).